US soldiers 'killed by Afghan commando' - WELCOME TO THEWATCHNEWS. : WORLD NEWS & ENTERTAINMENT.

WELCOME TO THEWATCHNEWS. : WORLD  NEWS  &  ENTERTAINMENT.

Reaching The World With The Best.

Breaking

Saturday, 17 June 2017

US soldiers 'killed by Afghan commando'




Three US special forces soldiers have been shot dead 
by an Afghan colleague during an operation in eastern Afghanistan, US officials say.

A spokesman for the governor in Nangahar province said 
an Afghan commando had opened fire on the US troops during a joint operation in Achin. He was shot dead in return fire.

Another US soldier was reportedly wounded in the attack.

A spokesman for the Taliban said it had carried out the 
attack.

Islamic State militants also operate in the area.
Earlier, at least two Afghan policemen were killed by US 
forces in a so-called friendly fire incident in southern Afghanistan.

The deaths are said to have occurred when a US aircraft returned fire during a joint operation in the restive province 
of Helmand.

It is reported to be the first friendly fire incident in Helmand since US Marines returned there in May.

Taliban insurgents have made widespread gains in the province.

In a statement, the US military apologised for the incident 
and said that an investigation had been launched.

It happened as police were on patrol in volatile Nad Ali 
district.

The dead were members of the Afghan Border Police.

Afghan officials told AFP news agency that the 
policemen were patrolling too close to a Taliban base 
prior to the attack. They say a number of militants were 
also killed in the strike.

In recent months, the Taliban have captured several 
districts in Helmand and put provincial capital Lashkar 
Gah under pressure.

The arrival of hundreds of US Marines - following the withdrawal of US troops three years ago - is part of the 
Nato-led  effort to train and assist Afghan forces. They 
include special forces who conduct separate counter-terrorism operations.

Air strikes by US warplanes have risen significantly 
over the last few months as President Donald Trump and other foreign leaders come under pressure to commit 
more troops.

Afghanistan has been hit by numerous violent attacks in recent weeks with the launch of the Taliban's spring 
offensive, including a massive bomb attack in the capital, Kabul , that killed more than 150 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad