Government verifying reported deaths among Marawi evacuees - WELCOME TO THEWATCHNEWS. : WORLD NEWS & ENTERTAINMENT.

WELCOME TO THEWATCHNEWS. : WORLD  NEWS  &  ENTERTAINMENT.

Reaching The World With The Best.

Breaking

Saturday, 17 June 2017

Government verifying reported deaths among Marawi evacuees




Local authorities are still verifying reports that
some residents who fled besieged Marawi City have 
died in evacuation centers, provincial crisis management committee spokesperson Zia Alonto Adiong said Saturday.

In a press briefing in Marawi, Adiong cited reports of 
deaths in evacuation centers due to dehydration and pre-existing health conditions.

“We’re still consolidating the data. We cannot give you 
an accurate description insofar as the cause of death, 
but based on what we have received so far, most of the 
cases are dehydration and pre-existing health conditions,
” he said.

Residents displaced from conflict-torn Marawi have 
been reporting illnesses, including fever and diarrhea, as 
they were forced to stay in evacuation centers amid 
ongoing government offensives in the city.

Most of the displaced have been staying in 
evacuation centers in Marawi's neighboring Iligan City.

Government forces were met with resistance by Abu 
Sayyaf and Maute extremists in Marawi City on May 23 
after soldiers tried to arrest Abu Sayyaf senior leader 
Isnilon Hapilon.

Four weeks into the crisis, Adiong said addressing the
needs of evacuees has been “pretty tough” given the
number of those in need of help.

“It’s going to be pretty tough in terms of how we 
respond to the needs of evacuees, especially that we’re dealing with 233,000,” he said, noting that the crisis has already affected nearby towns and cities.

He said regional social welfare offices have also been
tapped by the national government to aid evacuees.

National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management 
Council (NDRRMC) Executive Director Ricardo Jalad on Thursday said the government was considering building 
tent cities for displaced civilians in conflict-torn Marawi City and surrounding areas in case the number of evacuees 
would swell and if the crisis would continue.

The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) Philippines 
on Saturday also raised concerns on sanitation issues in
evacuation centers, particularly the safety of drinking 
water available to evacuees.

More than 300 have died, among them 26 civilians 
and 59 government troops, since clashes erupted on May 
23.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad