Mosul battle: Iraqi forces attack IS-held Old City - WELCOME TO THEWATCHNEWS. : WORLD NEWS & ENTERTAINMENT.

WELCOME TO THEWATCHNEWS. : WORLD  NEWS  &  ENTERTAINMENT.

Reaching The World With The Best.

Breaking

Sunday, 18 June 2017

Mosul battle: Iraqi forces attack IS-held Old City



There have been intense clashes on the first day of an offensive by Iraqi forces to retake Mosul's Old City, the last district  held by so-called Islamic State.

Special forces and federal police advancing from the 
west and south were met with mortar fire and car bombs.

The UN says as many as 100,000 civilians are believed 
to be trapped in the densely populated Old City.

They have been told to leave the area if they can.

The Iraqi military said it was proceeding slowly into 
the maze of narrow alleyways to minimise civilian casualties.

"The operation now is about street fighting. Air and artillery strikes will be limited because the area is heavily populated and the buildings fragile," Counter Terrorism Service spokesman Sabah al- Numan told al-Hadath TV in Dubai.

IS media outlets said the militants had foiled an advance
by Iraqi troops to advance into one neighbourhood and 
carried out dawn attacks on federal police positions.

Iraqi forces have told the Media that they do not know how many IS militants are holed up inside the Old City.

About 230 civilians have been killed in western Mosul 
in the past two weeks, the UN says, some in air strikes 
and rocket attacks, and others shot dead by IS snipers as they tried to flee.

Residents who have recently escaped from the area 
have described desperate conditions, with many people running out of food and water.

Different parts of the Iraqi security forces have been 
creeping closer on all sides. They will not be able to 
stop now until they have taken back all of the Old City.

Although Iraqi and coalition sources have said there is a
"humanitarian corridor" running out of the city along the 
river, the sheer number of people still inside means there
 will inevitably be significant casualties - civilians, Iraqi 
forces and IS fighters.

For the Iraqi government, retaking the Old City is akin to crossing the finish line. The powerful image of IS leader 
Abu Bakr al- Baghdadi speaking inside its Nuri mosque 
three years ago is one they are desperate to replace with a picture of "victory" - whether that means Iraqi flags and 
forces taking selfies at that same spot or blowing the 
mosque to smithereens.

Afterwards there will still be fighting to be done. The area
between Mosul and the Syrian border has to be secured 
and the town of Hawija, between Baghdad and Mosul, 
remains under IS control.

We were in contact with three families inside a house 
right next to an IS sniper position. They had no more food 
or water. Among them were a woman who was nine months pregnant and elderly people.

They feared that their house would be bombed. A 
nearby house had already been hit. We passed their 
address to the US-led coalition, which located it on a grid to avoid striking it. Federal police worked on a plan to get them out.

Overnight the exhausted families told us they were 
on the point of giving up hope. But they used a nearby explosion and the smoke and dust as cover from the IS 
sniper and reached safety.

The US-backed offensive to retake Mosul - Iraq's second 
city - is now in its ninth month. Iraqi forces retook the 
eastern part of the city in January.

Thousands of Iraqi security forces, Kurdish Peshmerga fighters, Sunni Arab tribesmen and Shia militiamen, assisted by US-led coalition warplanes and military advisers, are involved in the offensive IS overran Mosul in June 2014, routing the Iraqi army, and shortly afterwards declared it was establishing a caliphate over the territory it then controlled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad