Portugal forest fires: Three days of mourning for 61 victims - WELCOME TO THEWATCHNEWS. : WORLD NEWS & ENTERTAINMENT.

WELCOME TO THEWATCHNEWS. : WORLD  NEWS  &  ENTERTAINMENT.

Reaching The World With The Best.

Breaking

Sunday, 18 June 2017

Portugal forest fires: Three days of mourning for 61 victims



Portugal has declared three days of mourning for the 61 victims of one of the country's deadliest forest fires.

Four children are among the victims, many of whom 
were found dead inside their cars as they tried to flee the central forested region of Pedrógão Grande.

Hundreds of firefighters are continuing to tackle the 
blaze on several fronts.

Prime Minister Antonio Costa called it "the greatest 
tragedy we have seen in recent years in terms of forest 
fires".

He said it was thought to have been sparked by a 
lightning strike.

Four firefighters are among the 54 people injured in 
the fire, which is raging in several parts of a mountainous 
area some 200km north-east of the capital Lisbon.

There are fears the death toll could rise, as a number 
of people are still missing. The period of national mourning ends on Tuesday.


Bodies found inside cars

Emergency service workers were battling 156 fires across 
the country on Sunday, Prime Minister Costa said, adding 
that most of the victims had died in just one of them.

Secretary of State for the Interior Jorge Gomes said that 
most had died from smoke inhalation and burns, while two were killed in a road accident related to the fires.

Thirty bodies were found inside cars, with another 17 
next to the vehicles, on one road leading on to the IC8 motorway.

Another 11 died in a village next to the motorway.

More than 1,600 firefighters are fighting five of the 
main fires, supported by about 400 vehicles and 18 
aircraft, Portugal's Público reports.

According to the prime minister, just 11 fires are still 
active but he said the authorities were "particularly worried about two of them".

They have sent two army battalions to help the 
emergency services.


'I could have died, I should have died' - fire survivor's tale
As the power went off, the flames hit hard, a fiery red 
tornado passed the windows. We crouched on the floor for a good hour, trying to breathe, praying, crying.

I am not ashamed to say it: I was praying, we were all 
praying. I am not religious, but at that time, you couldn't do anything else.

I said: "It can't end like this." I just started crying and got
emotional - I was no use to anyone for 20 minutes.

Eventually the fire passed and we emerged to see the
smouldering remains of the village. Miraculously, our 
house and the one next door did not burn.

The devastation was indescribable. People, bewildered, remains of homes burning uncontrollably, concrete posts 
exploding over roads.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. After the fire passed, 
it should still have been bright, but it was dark. There was a
strange film over everyone's eyes.

You could hear gas canisters exploding, see blue 
flashes going off. There was just a strange silence. There 
was a lull, a strange feeling. It then turned to relief, there was crying.

France has offered three firefighting planes, while Spain has
already sent two water-bombing aircraft to help tackle the fires.

The European Union has also promised to provide 
firefighting aircraft.

Dozens of people who fled their homes have been taken 
in by residents of the nearby municipality of Ansiao.

Pope Francis, who visited Portugal last month, mentioned
 the victims in his weekly address: "I express my closeness 
to the beloved people of Portugal following the devastating fire."

French President Emmanuel Macron tweeted: "Solidarity
 with Portugal, hit by terrible fires. Our thoughts are with victims.


France makes its aid available to Portugal."

The fires began on Saturday during an intense heatwave 
and rainless thunderstorms, with temperatures of more 
than 40C (104F) in some areas. Police say lightning 
striking a tree may have caused the fire.

"This is a region that has had fires because of its forests, 
but we cannot remember a tragedy of these proportions," Valdemar Alves, the mayor of Pedrógão Grande, was 
quoted as saying by the Associated Press agency.

"I am completely stunned by the number of deaths."

Are you in the Pedrógão Grande area? Have you been 
affected by this incident? Let us know by emailing : 
yourreport.ericgossip@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad