At least 40 people have been killed in fighting in the
Central African Republic (CAR), a day after a ceasefire
was signed between rebels and the government.
The mayor of the town of Bria, north-east of the capital, Bangui, spoke of bodies lying in the streets.
The truce, signed in Rome on Monday, included an
immediate ceasefire.
It was intended to bring armed groups into the political process in exchange for ending attacks.
Thousands of people have been killed and hundreds of thousands displaced in the CAR since mainly Muslim
Seleka rebels ousted President Francois Bozize in 2013.
The move triggered a backlash from mostly Christian
militias, called the anti-balaka.
Aid agency Medecins Sans Frontieres said fierce fighting erupted in Bria early on Tuesday.
Town Mayor Maurice Belikoussou told Reuters news
agency that 42 bodies had been taken to hospital.
"There are also bodies in the neighbourhoods that
have not been picked up yet," he added.
The UN said in May that almost all the residents of
Bria had fled the town.
After violence erupted last month, 38,500 people left
in just three days, it said.
The peace agreement was brokered by the Sant' Egidio Catholic Community in the wake of years of sectarian
violence and the deployment of a long-running UN peacekeeping mission in the country.
More than a dozen militia groups agreed to end
hostilities immediately and to co-operate with a truth,
justice and reconciliation commission.
But observers say armed groups have yet to show
an interest in laying down their arms.
According to ERICGOSSIP deals have been signed in the
past few years but all have failed to bring the country
back to peace and stability.

No comments:
Post a Comment